99 days to go


Papa Kangaroo care

Today I went back to see Francesco and his parents again. Mom was happier, his bilirubin level had dropped a bit. His dad had arrived yesterday just before I was leaving and asked me the sweetest question: how can I be involved with my son in this early phase? I told him one thing he could do as a special routine is to be the one to give him a bath, and described the preparations necessary to make it a calm and relaxing event, spa like, in a warm room, with a warm towel at the end, and even a gentle massage and then putting clothing back on slowly and with care. Or, I said, you could offer him "kangaroo care" and spend time skin to skin after a bath. I offered to show him what I meant and we made an appointment for today. I brought my stretchy material I had used for my own baby wearing experiences. He held Francesco against his chest as mom and I wrapped the two of them up together, positioning the material so baby was fully supported. Dad sat back and wrapped his arms around his son and looked down at him; he was overcome with emotion at how incredible it felt to be in such intimate contact just two days after birth. After 20 minutes, a nurse came in to take the babies into the nursery for visiting hours, and stood for a few seconds at the door, not happy with the scene, and made some comment that at best was a negative judgement. Dad was in no hurry to unwrap but "visiting hours" were approaching fast, and babies must be put on window display twice a day here. I wont ever forget this day and how this dad's face shone with love for his son.

Comments

Post a Comment