92 days to go: 100 newborn observations in 100 days


Tomasso is rolled down the hallway and into the nursery. He is placed on the examining table and undressed. The two nurses begin to prepare for a blood draw, one nurse puts the rubber tubing around his upper arm and the other nurse gets the needle ready. She begins to search for a vein. A blood draw in the first hour after birth is not standard procedure and I'm a bit confused. But I just watch, and don't ask any questions. He lays there, one nurse holds his arm down and the other inserts the needle multiple times... nothing. He is not crying desperately like I have seen many times before during the delicate procedure of the newborn blood draw. I wonder why. He cries a bit and then doesn't.


They don't find a vein and haven't gotten any blood from him after what seems like an eternity of trying. So they flip him around, take the rubber tube off his arm and place it on the other arm. They work for some time on this arm.

At this point I ask them why they are doing a blood draw. They are used to me asking questions, for two years I have been following around these newborns and these nurses and asking questions. As I've never before seen a one-hour old get a blood draw, though surely it has happened, but I've not  seen this before. They tell me that the blood sample from the cord blood, which is usually adequate, was not enough so they need to take more of his blood for normal testing. They still haven't found a vein and will have to take another try on another part of his body, but I can't watch anymore. I leave. What seems strange is that he doesn't seem to be suffering from this procedure as much as I am. 


Comments